Updating to 3.41 for Blender 2.8¶
Please read it carefully!
As you may know, Auto-Rig Pro is being brought to Blender 2.8! Although i’m really glad it’s progressing nicely, please keep in mind it’s currently in beta stage: it means it’s not production ready, there may be bugs. But it’s now open to bug report, so if you find any issue, please send a message. You should not use it with important projects files, since Blender 2.8 itself is in beta stage, I cannot guarantee the saved files won’t break when it will be officially released. Use it at your own risks!
For a safe usage, use Auto-Rig Pro 3.40 for Blender 2.79.
Updating rigs to Auto-Rig Pro 3.41¶
- Download the latest Blender 2.8 build: https://builder.blender.org/download/ . Some important fixes have been made regarding the armatures in the latest versions.
Rigs coming from Blender 2.79 must be converted to the 2.8 standards (layers and groups must be converted to collections, slightly different bones dependency logic). The “update” feature of Auto-Rig Pro will handle this for you. Thus, when opening a rig file from Blender 2.79, a button labelled “UPDATE REQUIRED” will prompt the update.
It is mandatory to click it to make the armature compliant with the Blender 2.8 rig standards. Otherwise, some rig functions will break.
What’s new and improved¶
The rig, smart and picker modules have been ported to the Blender 2.8 python API and the new scene management systems (collections, view layers…) The rig collections are now organized as follow:
- character1 is the master character collection
- character1_rig contains all rig objects such as the armature, picker objects
- character1_cs contains all custom shape objects
- The collections can be renamed, but they must end with “_rig” and “_cs”. In example “joey_rig”, “joey_cs”
Additionally, the rigging tools have been improved:
- New unified, compact interface. The fingers, toes and other sub-limbs are now treated as “options”, per limb. They can be accessed by clicking the “Limb Options” button, after selecting a bone from the limb. A window will then popup to access and modify the parameters. Thanks to this, the previous limitations are lifted: toes and fingers can be added or removed from any limbs, even duplicated ones. The main rig panel was becoming a little blocked with too many options and buttons. It’s now better structured and clear.
- The “Add Limb” menu has been brought to all types of armature (it was restricted to “Empty” armatures before). This way, it’s now quick and easy to add any new limbs to any armature.
- The “Enable All” button to enable all limbs have been removed, since it’s now useless.
- Better seamless IK/FK snap integration: The [IK > FK] and [FK > IK] Snap buttons have been replaced by a single button, that automatically switches and snaps to IK or FK according to the current value. The old manual buttons can still be accessed by clicking the settings icon next to it. After snapping, the respective IK or FK hands/feet are now automatically selected as well. IK switch has never been so easy :)
- The eyes target controller has been brought closer to the face
- Smart: The markers selection hotspot is now bigger, making them easier to select. On the cosmetic side, they’re now highlighted on selection and mouse over.